ISLAND'S GEOGRAPHIC SECTORS
Go Back To Part I: TOPSIDE and MIDDLESIDE
Bottomside - generally, this sector encompasses the lower part of the island. Except for the current location of Corregidor Hotel, the terrain is mostly a flat stretch of land where the elevations measured above sea level are lower than 100 feet. Landmarks such as the North and South Dock, Lorcha Dock, and the former site of Barrio San Jose are found at Bottomside. Among the more recently reconstructed buildings, parks, and structures found in this area are: Administration Building, Gen. MacArthur Park, San Jose Chapel, Gen. Wainwright Park, a basketball and tennis court, and Corregidor Hotel.
South Dock - this was formerly a U.S. Navy wharf. Currently, it is used by yachts, ferry boats and vessels of the Philippine Navy. The South Dock offers a convenient alternative for landing on days when strong winds make it difficult for vessels to dock at North Dock. In the afternoon after work, employees who work and reside in Corregidor and their dependents usually come to the dock to fish. Nearby is a beach where you will find picnic sheds. The beach is also a favorite among visitors and tourists who come to gather "bloodstones" as a souvenir to take home. These stones were called as such because of the varied blood-like design patterns on its surface. Legends say that these stones were tainted by the blood of Filipino, American, and Japanese soldiers who died in Corregidor during the war. A geologists, however, will contradict these legends and explain that this is only the result of a chemical reaction caused by sea water on the the type of rock found in the island.
Lorcha Dock - it was at this dock where on March 11, 1942, Gen. Douglas MacArthur boarded PT (torpedo) Boat 41 under the command of Navy Lt. John Bulkeley which took him to the Bogo dock of the Del Monte Pineapple Canning plant in Misamis Oriental where he later proceeded to Australia by aircraft. Only the ruins of the dock could now be seen aside from rusted tracks of an old railway system which connected Lorcha Dock with Malinta Tunnel. This rail transportation not only brought personnel to different parts of the island but it also allowed the quick and efficient transport of ordnance and war materials from this dock to the tunnel.
North Dock - is the service dock for the island. This pier is also known as the North Mine Wharf. North Dock, which is facing in the direction of the Province of Bataan, is the main docking facility of the Island of Corregidor.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur Park - this park has a larger-than-life bronze statue of the general which was erected in his honor near the ruins of Lorcha Dock. His famous message, "I Shall Return" is inscribed in a concrete marker erected beside his statue.
Barrio San Jose - used to be an old civilian community where the families of Filipino servicemen who were detailed in Corregidor lived. It does not physically exists anymore, however, there are plans to revive the barrio to portray life in this community as it was during the pre-war days. When completed, there will be facilities for entertainment and recreation, including dining places, a shopping center, a theater-museum, and accompanying service facilities.
Administration Building - this building is currently used as an office of the Corregidor Foundation which is responsible for the management and maintainance of the island. During the pre-war days, it used to be a one-room school building for children of military personnel who were detailed in Corregidor.
San Jose Chapel - this chapel was reconstructed at its former location and based on its original architectural and structural design. During the pre-war days, religious services were conducted in this chapel for the military personnel in the garrison as well as for their families.
Gen. Jonathan M Wainwright Memorial - near Corregidor Hotel is a small plaza which was erected in honor of Gen. Wainwright, the former deputy of Gen. MacArthur who took over command of the Filipino and American forces in the Philippines when MacArthur left Corregidor for Australia. Inscribed on a marble tablet is a citation which partly reads as follows: "He distinguished himself by intrepid and determined leadership against greatly superior forces. At the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty in his position he frequented the firing line of his troops where his presence provided the example and incentive that helped make the gallant efforts of these men possible. The final stand on beleaguered Corregidor for which he was in an important measure personally responsible commanded the admiration of the Nation's allies. It reflected the high morale of American arms in the face of overwhelming odds. Gen. Wainwright's courage and resolution were a vitally needed inspiration to the then sorely pressed freedom loving peoples of the world." After the fall of Bataan and Corregidor, Gen. Wainwright was one of the American and Filipino soldiers who became prisoners of war. It has been said that Wainwright expected to be court martialed upon his return to the United States after the war for having surrendered to the Japanese, but instead he found a grateful nation that was proud to have him back.
PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN AT BOTTOMSIDE
[ Click on any "thumbnail image" to view the photograph in a larger size format. ]
Lorcha Dock North Dock South Dock Gen. MacArthur Park Administration Building Old Barrio San Jose San Jose Chapel Inside the chapel Corregidor Hotel Gen. Wainwright Plaza World War II Relics Bancas at Lorcha Dock Picnic Shed near South Dock "Bloodstone" Beach "Bloodstones" of Corregidor
Tail End - is the remaining portion of Corregidor's long and twisting tail which was not given a particular name. The western half of this narrow, two-and-a-half mile area consists of a low ridge with several distinct hills which is said to have assumed crucial military importance during the siege of Corregidor in 1942 by the Japanese forces and also during its recapture by the American forces in 1945. A portion of the eastern end of the tail, being a fairly level terrain, was leveled off for the construction of the island's only airstrip which was named Kindley Field. East Point, at the island's extreme tail, contained a small cemetery. Just a little further beyond it is Hooker Point which is often separated from East Point during high tide. In the early years of the presence of American forces in Corregidor, Hooker Point was a favorite place for hikers and sightseers. Among the recently constructed buildings, structures, and parks that are now found at the Tail End include the following: Statue of The Filipino Woman, Filipino Heroes Memorial, Japanese Garden of Peace, the two parks which were erected in honor of Presidents Manuel Quezon and Sergio Osmena, and the Corregidor Beach Resort.
Statue of the Filipino Woman - an inscription at the base of the monument reads: "Dedicated to the Filipino Woman, for her involvement in the many events in our history. But more importantly, served as a symbol of peace and inspiration to our gallant men in their fight for the preservation of our honor and freedom."
President Manuel Quezon Park - it is at this park where a statue of President Quezon was erected. Beside the statue are a number of permanently erected stone and concrete markers which have been inscribed with some of the famous quotations of the president. This memorial park is directly across the north entrance of Malinta tunnel which leads to the hospital laterals and a lateral which was occupied by Quezon and his family during the seige of Corregidor. It was in this vicinity of Malinta tunnel where Quezon and Osmena were inaugurated as the president and vice-president, respectively, of the Philippine Commonwealth for a second term. Pres. Quezon and his family occupied one of the laterals of Malinta Tunnel from Dec. 29, 1941 to Feb. 20, 1942 or a total of 53 days. With his family and staff, Quezon slipped off the island aboard the submarine, "Swordfish," which was under the command of Commander Chester C. Smith.
Filipino Heroes Memorial - the memorial is one of the newest landmarks in Corregidor which honors Filipino heroes and martyrs in their struggle for freedom and independence. It was erected and inaugurated in 1987 and 1992, respectively, and has 14 murals depicting the different eras in struggle from the Battle of Mactan in 1521 to the more recent People Power Revolution in 1986. Other murals depicted include the Dagohoy Revolt in 1744, the 1782 Palaris Revolt in Pangasinan, the 1896 Philippine Revolution, and World War II. The memorial complex was designed by Francisco Manosa while the murals and a statue of a Filipino soldier-farmer were sculptured by Manuel Casal.
President Sergio Osmena Park - located beside the Filipino Heroes Memorial is a small park dedicated to Sergio Osmena, the second president of the Philippine Commonwealth. Erected in this park is the statue of President Osmena which was inaugurated on May 23, 1998 through the efforts of the Corregidor Foundation and the Cebu Newspaper Workers' Foundation with the assistance of Sen. Marcelo B. Fernan.
Japanese Garden of Peace - this garden features a 10-foot high stone Buddha with a reflecting pool, a shinto Shrine, and other Japanese soldier memorial shrines and markers. It is also used as a praying area for Japanese war veterans and the families and relatives of Japanese soldiers who served or were killed in Corregidor during World War II. Also on display within the garden are anti-aircraft guns which are relics of the war. A small pavilion houses some Japanese memorabilia and World War II photographs. The construction of this garden was made possible through funds generated by a Japan-based private group.
Kindley Field - this airfield, which was named in honor of an early hero of the U.S. Army Air Corps, was operated by the Army during the pre-war period. It also had a hydroplane hangar which was used by the U.S. Navy. The runway, which was constructed in the early 1920s to accommodate light-fixed wing aircraft, is about 3000 feet in length and consists of a grass-gravel surface with a 300-foot long concrete portion at both ends. A small Air Corps installation which included barracks and hangars were built at the western end of the airstrip just after World War I. It is also at this end where a control tower building was reconstructed.
PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN AT THE TAIL END
[ Click on any "thumbnail image" to view the photograph in a larger size format. ]
Sunrise at Tail End East Point & Hooker Point Pres Manuel L Quezon Park Tribute to Filipino Woman Filipino Heroes Memorial (FHM) Farmer-Soldier statue at FHM A mural at the FHM Pres Sergio Osmena Park Jibo Kannon Stone Buddha Japanese Garden of Peace (JGP) Monument at JGP Corregidor Resort Kindley Airfield Control Tower at airfield Navy Intercept Tunnel